Friday, January 30, 2009

I have MS



I couldn't think of a better way to start this blog posting than to just come out and say it. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I'm not posting on the fact that I have this disease, but what I am doing about it. Shortly after I was diagnosed, I was put on this medication that is supposed to help decrease the symptoms and slow the progress over time. You would think I have cancer by the way it makes me feel. The way the drug works is to suppress your immune system so the disease will stop attacking your own body. What a great thing to do. After a couple of weeks of treatment, I knew I was done with it, however, too afraid to stop with the promise of "slowing the disease process" looming over my head. I was searching the net one day about different treatments and such and came across this book: "The MS Recovery Diet". My first though was, "recover?" and them my second though was "recover!". You don't just recover from MS. Studies show that it is a chronic progressive disease. So I was immediately intrigued. I went right out and bought the book. The first words I read were on the back cover: "The MS Recovery Diet targets five common food triggers that can set off the symptoms of MS: dairy, grains containing glutens, leguems, eggs, yeas." I almost threw the book across the room. Then I realized that I should do that with my shots instead. I was defeated. I couldn't help having MS, but I COULD help what I put in my mouth. So I began reading. I have been on this diet for about a week (and veggitarian now for about a month), and I feel pretty good. I decided to post this to give myself more motivation to stick to this. It is a life long change for my health. 


There are certain things that I miss; pancakes in the morning, a juicy hamburger, cake with lots of frosting, and all of my soy products. Other things I can live without like deep fried foods, and most other meats. I have restricted myself to fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, rice, and corn. When you really get inventive, there is a lot you can do with that. Tonight I had acorn squash (cut in half) baked with cut up apples, walnuts, and cinnamon-it was quite tasty. I found out they make rice protein powder, which I pretty much live off of. I have fish every other day, and a mixture of nuts every day. Oils are very important for the repairing of the myelin sheath (you will know what I'm talking about once you look up the disease process). Kick out all of the saturated fats (bad fats) and add more of the unsaturated fats to your diet. I cook with olive, veggetable, and sunflower seed oils. I could babble on but I won't bore you.

My whole point in posting this is for me to feel brave enough to take the plunge. Let my medication go and rely on natural foods. The way it was meant to be. It is scary, but now that I have read the book it makes total sense. There are so many diseases out there, especially autoimmune, that we can change the course of with just our diets. We need to listen to our bodies, and our hearts, and just trust. I pray a lot. A lot more than I used to. Not to get better, or to give me strength, but for thanks. I thank god every day for the life I have and for my health. The realization that I have the power to change this is more than I could have ever asked for. 

12 Comments:

Jeni Lyn said...

Wow, Amanda - Where have I been! I don't think I ever knew this about you? When were you diagnosed? I will keep you in my prayers and good luck with your new healthier way of life.

DaNelle said...

Wow Amanda, all I can say is I somewhat know how you feel. Having a disease that affects your everyday life really sucks! How awesome that you are trying to stabalize it with your diet! GO HEALTHY WOMAN! Isn't it funny how we think we have our lives planned out and things happen that we did not expect? Good luck!

Lexa T said...

Wow you never cease to amaze me!! I look up to you so much! You have this incredible outlook on life and I really appreciate it. You have no idea how much your example really influences the lives of those around you. Please let me know if you ever need anything. love!

Lisa said...

Amanda, I'm so proud of you. It's inspiring to see someone stick to a difficult diet. I'd love for you to post more about it.

I can't imagine the emotions you've gone through with this, but I hope you keep up with your motivation and positive moving-forward attitude. Keep it up.

Tim and Amy said...

So sorry to hear about your struggle. That is great that you are trying it out with diet and without medication! I truly hopes it helps. You are in our thoughts. Take care and keep strong!

The Field's said...

Thanks for all the support guys. I wasn't sure about posting it. A lot of friends and family already know so I thought what the heck. I was dx last Sept/Oct. I will post more if I have trouble or just need to vent. Looks like I have great support! Thank you so much you guys!

Codie said...

Good for you. Not for having MS but for taking action. Keith's aunt has it and just changed her medication and is doing a lot better. That diet is hard but it is amazing what you can do when your health is at stake. Keep going!

Jenni said...

Amanda, my goodness. You amaze me. I will definitely send up prayers in your direction so that you can have the strength that you need through all of this. I am glad that you shared and let us know if there is anything we can do...even if it's from a distance.

Briley said...

Amanda!
you are awesome and so amazing! You are such a great example to everyone around you, including me! Keep up the good work! LOVE!
ps your cinnamon rolls are bomb!

~aileen~jaron~ said...

Holy Moly! What a shocker. I am superpsyched about this new diet. and being able to change your possible outcome.Good luck with it. Sorry for the late response. just jumping back on the blogging lifestlye again. You are in my prayers. And i will check back soon. All my love!

Amy G. said...

Amanda...I just came across your blog. I think you are both amazing and smart. Awesome to choose the positive attitude you have and smart to take things into your own hands with your diet. We have more power in us than we realize. Or at least you do! The rest of us are still trying to get there :)

Anonymous said...

Manda, I just read your blog and I love how strong you are. You know...over the past few months after hearing for the first time, my own sis has this disease that change's your life, I really pondered on why we get sick. Why do more and more people get diagnosed with cancer's and autoimmune diseases? And they don't know where the hell it is coming from or why? Well All I have to say is ORGANIC, and taking it even further like you have is the answer. I know it sounds like a stretch but I feel like I know in my heart it is what we are all putting INTO and ON our body's. We CANT help gene's nor pollution, but we CAN help what we eat.

Brookelyn